By Lia Blanchard
This Sunday is Fathers’ Day, and let’s face it; dads can be tough to find gifts for. Men don’t always let people know what they need or want. The artful gift-giver has to be rather intuitive to determine what he needs or wants… especially if he himself doesn’t know what that is!
Handy and Hobby Dads
If the Father in your life is good with his hands, you have a built-in niche for gift-giving. What project is he currently working on – or has mentioned that he would like to start soon? What tool, instrument, or implement would make that more fun for him? Try these ideas:
- Sears is calling itself “Destination Dad” and is offering up to 60% off gear and tools. Tip: Get a $20 e-gift card when you buy at least $50 of men’s clothing.
- The Handyman’s Toolbox of Treats from Art of Appreciation is a great way to celebrate the man who can do anything. The paperboard container looks like a tool box, and is filled with all sorts of manly gourmet goodies.
Whether he’s a couch athlete or an Olympian, if your guy is a “sports dude,” then you have all sorts of options available to you. Does he need specialty gear for the sport that he plays? Tickets to a local sporting event create a great way to spend time together, and minor league teams are often nearby and affordable. Other ideas:
- Try Lids.com for a huge selection of hats and caps of all kinds. Tip: Lids offers free shipping if you ship your order to a Lids brick-and-mortar store.
- Art of Appreciation’s Gone Golfing! gift basket comes in a box shaped like a golf cart and filled with yummies to enjoy while on the fairway.
Maybe your Dad prefers the company of wildlife than sports fans. An outdoor adventure – with you, of course – would be a gift for both of you. Ziplining, kayaking, or camping is fun for everyone.
- A gift card from Cabela’s will ensure that your outdoorsy Dad finds something he really wants! Gift cards are redeemable in their stores, at cabelas.com, and through their catalog. Tip: E-gift cards are delivered via email instantly.
- If your Dad likes to fish, our fishing creel gift basket can’t be beat. He’ll enjoy Swedish Fish, fish bait (Gummi worms) and more, all packed into a wicker creel for snacking on while he goes for The Big One. This one is a favorite every year!
If your dad is more the quiet type, you still have plenty of options. What is it that he does during his me-time?
- Gadget gurus will enjoy something from Sharper Image’s catalog of gifts.
- Amazon’s family of Kindle e-readers come in a variety of price points and capabilities.
- Stay home with Dad and spend some time together enjoying fun and games, or a movie with movie-snack junk food favorites.
Timing is Everything
Fathers’ Day is this Sunday, so be mindful of shipping times if you shop online, keeping in mind that most shipping companies don’t make deliveries on weekend. Art of Appreciation guarantees arrival by Fathers’ Day for orders purchased with the 2-day shipping option if they are placed by Wednesday.