By Lia Blanchard
Independence Day, the Fourth of July. When Americans go nuts celebrating the birth of their nation with family reunions, neighborhood block parties and parades, and lots and lots of fireworks. Sure, it’s a birthday celebration, but it’s not a gift-giving holiday; it’s not like you can wrap up a box and hand it to Uncle Sam, right?
Maybe not to Uncle Sam, no. But it’s a great time to say “thank you” to someone in the military or civil service, past or present. Perhaps someone is hosting a large Fourth of July gathering; a host/hostess gift is always appreciated, and can really add to the festive atmosphere. And of course, lots of individuals have their own birthday on July fourth as well.
Here are some ideas, but hurry – July 4 is Wednesday!
These make great “Happy Birthday, America” and “thank you” gifts. Keep in mind that anything you order online will have to be purchased with two-day or overnight shipping if you want it delivered before the fireworks!
- Burgers, Brats, Franks. Give yourself – and your barbecue guests – a real treat with “heartland quality” classic cookout fare from Omaha Steaks.
- Snacks. Pretty AND tasty, a patriotic gift basket from Art of Appreciation says “thank you” with style, sets the mood and keeps the festivities bursting with flavor!
- A Touch of Class. If your Independence Day observance is not about the party, these graceful gifts convey your sentiments with style.
- Thomas Kinkade’s “O! Say Can You See” patriotic angel
- American flag cufflinks in a valet box with a personalized engraving, from Things Remembered
- These statesmanlike silk neckties – one featuring the signatures on the Constitution, the other signatures of the Declaration of Independence – are an elegant national treasure!